Fisher Legal Group

What Is The Process Of Bringing Your Spouse To Live In The US As A Permanent Resident?

If you wish to bring your spouse (husband/wife) to live in the United States as a green card holder, you must be either a U.S. citizen yourself or a green card holder i.e. you must have completed the U.S immigration process to become a lawful permanent resident of the States with all the benefits for life. The life partners of U.S. green card holders are qualified for migration under the family second preference classification (2A). This is valid for both same-sex and inverse sex couples, as long as the marriage is legitimately perceived in the state/nation where it occurred.

The marriage must be a legitimately valid marriage in order to bring your spouse to live in the U.S as a permanent resident. You’ll be made a request to demonstrate that the marriage is real at different points of the application procedure. Your spouse must not be “barred” to the United States as the grounds of prohibition are long and entangled. A special case of inadmissibility emerges if your life partner is living illegally in the United States. Initially, if form I-130 is approved, it will be sent for consular processing and the consulate / embassy will provide notice and processing information. Whereas, beginning a green card application process for someone’s behalf won’t give him or her any privilege to come to or stay in the United States (only if 3 years have already passed since the I-130 was filed), and unless a spouse as of now has a legitimate visa, the life partner should wait in their country until the priority date is current before claiming any immigration rights.

Mandatory Documentation

To complete the process of bringing your spouse to live in the U.S. as a permanent resident, the applicant must submit:

  • Form I-130 (signed with proper fee), with all the required documentation as listed:
  • Two completed and signed G-325A forms (one for you and one for your spouse)
  • A photocopy of your civil marriage certificate
  • A photocopy of all divorce declarations, death certificates, or annulment declarations that demonstrate that all previous marriages entered into by you and/or your spouse were completely diminished
  • Passport photos of you and your spouse (for photo requirements see Form I-130)
  • Evidence of all legitimate (if any) name changes for you and/or your spouse (may include marriage certificates, divorce decrees, court judgment of name change, adoption decrees, etc.) should be attached

If you are a U.S. citizen, you must prove your station with:

  • A photocopy of your valid U.S. passport OR
  • A photocopy of your U.S. birth certificate OR
  • A photocopy of Consular Report of Birth Abroad OR
  • A photocopy of your naturalization certificate OR
  • A photocopy of your certificate of citizenship

If you are a green card holder (permanent resident), you must prove your status with:

  • A photocopy (front and back) of Form I-551 (green card) OR
  • A photocopy of your foreign passport bearing a stamp showing temporary evidence of permanent residence

In the event that you have been married under 2 years when your life partner is allowed permanent occupant status, your companion will get permanent inhabitant status on a conditional premise. Contact a Las Vegas immigration lawyer for details and information on how to bring your spouse to live in the US as a permanent resident.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this Article

About the Author

Hire Fisher Legal Group for strong legal advocacy from an Orlando immigration attorney who will put your interests first.