Fisher Legal Group



Are you considering studying in the United States? Many from around the world come to take advantage of such a unique opportunity, but first they need to obtain the appropriate student visa. If you are interested in studying in the U.S., our Orlando immigration attorney can help you file the correct visa application in a timely and efficient manner. Your end goal is our top priority when you come to our firm!

Whether you need to obtain an F-1 or an M-1 visa depends on what you plan on studying and at what school.

You can attain a student visa so long as you adhere to the following:

  • You must be enrolled in an academic, language-training, or vocational program
  • Your school must be approved by the Student and Exchange Visitors Program and Immigration & Customs Enforcement
  • You must be enrolled as a full-time student
  • You must be proficient in English or be enrolled in courses leading to English proficiency
  • You must have enough funding for self-support during the time you wish to study
  • You must maintain residence abroad which you do not wish to relinquish


The F-1 visa lets a person enter the U.S. as a full time student at an accredited school. You need to be enrolled in a program that has a degree, diploma, or certificate as its goal and the school must be authorized by the U.S. government to accept international students. M-1 visas include students in vocational or other nonacademic programs other than language training.

You will need an F-1 visa before attending any approved academic institution, including any United States:

  • University / college
  • High school
  • Seminary
  • Conservatory
  • Private elementary school
  • Language school


The process begins with completing the online visa application and printing the form out to take with you to your interview. Those who will need to interview include applicants between the ages of 14 and 79. You will need to schedule your appointment for the interview at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your home country.

For new students, your F-1 or M-1 visa can be issued to you up to 120 days before your course of study begins. However, you cannot enter the U.S. with such a status more than 30 days before school starts. Those continuing their studies in the U.S. can renew their visas at any time so long as they maintain their student status and their SEVIS records are current. These students can enter the U.S. any time before their classes begin.


You should gather certain documents and materials in preparation for your interview at the consulate or embassy in your country. Contacting our Orlando immigration attorney can significantly help you ensure you are fully briefed on what to expect and how best to anticipate what will take place.

Have on hand the following items:

  • Valid passport
  • Nonimmigrant visa application, Form DS-160 confirmation page
  • Application fee payment receipt
  • Recent photo
  • Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status (F-1 or M-1)
  • Evidence of academic preparation and intent to depart the U.S. upon completion may be required

Finally, you should refrain from making plans to travel to the U.S. before you have obtained your visa since there is no guarantee you will be issued one. If your spouse and/or minor children wish to reside with you in the U.S., they may apply for F-2 or M-2 status and your minor children may attend school in the U.S. while they are with you.

At the Fisher Legal Group we want to help you through the exciting process of obtaining a student visa. Call our Orlando immigration law firm today to learn more about how we can make this process smoother for you!

Fisher Legal Group

Get your questions answered - Call for a free consultation or assessment of your needs (407) 792-6970.