Fisher Legal Group



Generally speaking, Florida is an employment at-will state. This means that employment law in Florida tends to favor the employer when it comes to the decision to fire an employee. Under most circumstances, an employer can choose to terminate an employee with little or no cause, and the employee in most cases has no legal recourse in the situation. There are, however, exceptions to this rule. A major exception is when the employer’s decision to terminate constitutes an act of discrimination or harassment.

If you have reason to believe that you were fired as an action of discrimination, you may have grounds to pursue legal action against your former employer. State and federal law prohibits an employer from firing someone on the basis of personal characteristics including:

  • Race
  • Color
  • Religion
  • Sex
  • National origin
  • Disability
  • Age (over 40)

Furthermore, your employer cannot legally fire you as an act of retaliation for engaging in protected activities. For example, termination cannot be based on the fact that an employee has acted as a whistleblower in speaking out about unsafe conditions in the workplace or reporting on illegal activities or regulatory violations. Similarly, you cannot legally be fired for filing a discrimination or sexual harassment lawsuit.


It sometimes occurs that an employer will try to coerce an employee into quitting so as to avoid allegations of wrongful termination. This may work in some cases, but you do not have to let your employer get away with it in your own case. If you can demonstrate that you were subjected to treatment that created a hostile work environment, you may be able to use this evidence as a basis to sue for wrongful termination on the grounds that you were “constructively terminated.” Take action now by contacting the Orlando employment lawyers at the Fisher Legal Group. We offer free case evaluations so that you can learn whether you have grounds to sue.

Fisher Legal Group

Get your questions answered - Call for a free consultation or assessment of your needs (407) 792-6970.